Carbon monoxide is referred to as the "Silent Killer" with good reason. If you aren't taking preventative measures and don't have the appropriate alerts in place, your family could be in danger. Here, you'll learn a little about what you can do to protect your family from falling victim to the Silent Killer.
Invest in Carbon Monoxide Detectors
Carbon monoxide detectors won't set you back a lot of cash. In fact, you can get a basic model for under $20 with more sophisticated models available in the $100 range. You should have at least one carbon monoxide detector on each level in your home. For optimum protection, find an alarm that is equipped with a battery back-up. This way, if your power is out when the alarm is needed, it will still sound. Just be sure to change the batteries every six months when you change the batteries in your smoke alarms.
Your chimney can get clogged up with all sorts of things, and when it does, the gasses that are supposed to escape through the outlet will begin to back up into your home leading to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Creosote, bird, and rodent nests and debris can become entrapped in the chimney. Each year, have the chimney cleaned and inspected by a company like A & A Chimney Sweep to ensure that it is clear of blockages and that there aren't any cracks that will allow the gasses to fill into your home.
Service Gas Appliances
Gas appliances are another hazard when it comes to carbon monoxide poisoning. If they aren't maintained properly, they could leak carbon monoxide when they're being used. Bring in an appliance repair professional for a routine safety check each year. He or she will identify and fix any issues before your family is put in any danger.
If you have an attached garage, it is so important that you practice garage safety when starting your car, lawn mower or motorcycles. If you start a gas engine of any kind in the garage, the door must be opened while it's running and for several minutes after you've turned it off. If the engine will be running for more than a minute or two, move it outside, close the garage door and allow it to run outside of the garage.
Don't put off these tasks. Working with skilled technicians and watching what you do could save your family from falling victim to this Silent Killer.Share